Thursday 24 September 2009

Basically


Now where was I before I was so rudely interrupted (Lachlan)

One of the painful parts of my job is the writing of tasting notes.
People nowadays expect some kind of explanation and description before they buy wine,
to give them some clue as to whether or not it might be the sort of thing that they might like.

Seems fair enough on the face of it although it's rarely asked of jam or, er sauce.

How useful this information really is, is debateable,
the boy's trying to sell you something after all.

You'll find this carry on, particularly with grape wines possibly because there are tens of thousands of them, many tasting much the same.

The challenge for the winemaker, then, is to try and find some angle that'll make the punter choose there plonk over the next guys.

They cant say it tastes like grapes so they have to say it tastes like something else.

So why do I have to bother?

I could be spending more time on my hammock if it hadn't been blown half way to Dundee.

Anyway I've had a go; look to the shop for the new Mutiny and Cheery Currant.



Cheers
Ron

No comments: